SANDY, Ore. — April 16, 2018 — Mt. Hood National Forest personal-use firewood permits are now available for purchase for the 2018 firewood season. Prices are $10.00 per cord (two-cord minimum, 5 cord limit per household).
Firewood cutters should remember that roads may be inaccessible, depending on local conditions and snow level. Designated areas open for firewood cutting may change from week to week depending on supply and access, check for an updated firewood cutting information sheet before heading out onto the forest. As a requirement of their permit, firewood cutters must have valid permit with current firewood tags, a Mt. Hood National Forest firewood map, and a copy of the current firewood information sheet in their possession while cutting firewood on the forest.
Weekly information sheets showing current open areas are available at Ranger District offices and on the forest’s firewood web page.
To help ensure that the Mt. Hood National Forest has a sustainable firewood program, please follow the guidelines below:
- Do not fell standing trees, dead or alive.
- Notify your local district ranger office if you see anyone cutting into standing trees, and provide the office with a description of the vehicle, the time, and a license plate number.
- Firewood cutters must have screen-type spark arrestors on their chainsaws, carry a pressurized chemical fire extinguisher not less than 8 ounces, and have a long-handled shovel with an 8-inch blade in their possession while harvesting firewood on the forest.
- Before going to the forest, call your nearest Ranger Station for up-to-date information on supply and road conditions, as road conditions can change quickly.
- Always let someone know where you are going and when you are expected home whenever traveling into the forest. It’s also a good practice to take along extra food, water, a forest map, and a first aid kit before setting off.
Purchase a personal-use firewood cutting permits or get more information at the following Mt. Hood National Forest ranger district offices:
Firewood Permit Locations
(All offices are closed for federal holidays)
Barlow Ranger District:
- 780 NE Court St.; Dufur, OR
Open MON–FRI 7:45 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Phone: (541) 467-2291
Clackamas River Ranger District:
- 595 Industrial Way; Estacada, OR
Open MON–FRI 7:45 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (Closed 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.). Phone: (503) 630-6861
Hood River Ranger District:
- 6780 Highway 35, Parkdale, OR
Open MON–FRI 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Phone: (541) 352-6002
Zigzag Ranger District:
- 70220 E. Highway 26, Zigzag, OR
Open MON–FRI 8 a.m.-4 p.m. (Closed: noon-1 p.m.). Phone: (503) 622-3191